Sunday, November 27, 2011

Family+Thanksgiving+Martha Stewart=Good Stuff!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  We will just get right into things here.  
Monday night, I had another cooking class- this week we made sweet potato souffles that were very, very good.  I also have decided I no longer like goat cheese but I did educate mom on how to clean pomegranates without making a mess (do it underwater) and then made her buy two at the grocery store.  I ate a few of them today and they were pretty good.  Mom is just happy this class is making branch out from mac-n-cheese and rolls.
Dad was off all week and my first day of vacation was Wednesday.  We had a fabulous daddy-daughter day starting with a snow girl pancake breakfast complete with whip cream and sprinkles.


Then, while mom was slaving away at work, he and I headed to Lollipop Park, an indoor amusement park where I rode and rode and rode the teacups.  After I was too dizzy to walk, we headed to McDonald's and then to the movies.  It was just my kind of day- junk food, movies and spinning.  Mom got home around 5 and brought some order back to our day- boo!  She and I made a pumpkin pie that turned out especially pretty.

Mom and dad were up bright and early for running and biking, while I got caught up on my Mario Cart Wii.  But, when mom got back, she forced me to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, which is one of her favorite things to do.  I actually really liked it especially the part where we pretended we were the Rockettes.
 It was such a super, duper beautiful day here (we thought we were in Tucson!) that we all went for a great bike ride to the park and spent some time burning off some calories before the big feast.  I'm getting to be really good on my bike, so it isn't quite so nerve wracking for mom to watch me.

We got back and got to cooking and I have to say, we put together a really great dinner.  Dad was in charge of the mashed potatoes and carving the turkey (or in reality posing for a picture of carving the turkey but then letting everyone have at it themselves).   The potatoes were smooth and creamy with not a single lump.  I was in charge of setting the table and putting the wine charms on our wine glasses.  Mom got the ship's helm, dad got the golf club and I got all of the 37 other ones we have.  Needless to say, we knew which glass was mine and it was the prettiest.
Mom was in charge of the turkey, gravy and corn pudding.  Mom doesn't like to brag or anything but considering that she has only made one turkey and has never made gravy in all of her 25 years, they rocked!  The turkey was beautiful and the gravy was fairly lumpless and very tasty.  We can thank good old Martha Stewart for our successful dinner- God love her!

Now, although it sounds like Dad's vacation was nothing but a bowl full of cherries, he really spent the majority of his time getting our house ready.  It basically involved a lot painting, trips to the hardware store, cursing and installing of fixtures and appliances.  It was not a fun time for him but mom and I definitely, really, truly appreciate it.
We met another one of our neighbors.  Apparently, we live in a very chatty neighborhood because this guy talked dad's ear off too.



Saturday, I had my tennis lesson again but mom took me this time and had a new strategy.  She dropped me off and left the premises for awhile.  She snuck back later and spied on me and amazingly, I was doing just fine.  It looks like I will be attending tennis on my own from now on.

Sunday was a quiet day.  We got our itty bitty tree up and decorated.  I think it is going to be a minimalist Christmas this year because we can't find any of our decorations.  Oh well, less to pack/unpack.  It looks nice though, when we can actually see the tree.  Next year, we have room for a huge tree so I'm sure it will be a little insane!
I hope everyone has a great week back at work!

No comments: