Monday, May 24, 2010

Great Grandma's Birthday Weekend

Yowzaa- do I have a lot to blog about this time around! We had an absolutely wonderful weekend back in Ohio helping great Grandma Walker celebrate her 90th birthday. We have 10 million pictures because it was so impossibly green, that you couldn't take a bad picture.
Mom and I flew out on Thursday morning (Dad was supposed to go with us but he had a work emergency and had to go to LA- he joined us on Friday). We had a few weather delays but otherwise it was uneventful.
Once we got there, we met Nana D, Mr. Walker, Uncle Adam and Aunt Erin and got our rental cars. The only reason I'm telling you this is because Uncle Adam picked a Dodge Charger, which as luck would have it, is one of my favorite cars. It was a really nice ride and Uncle Adam did a really good job driving it. We headed over to Grandma's for dinner and then the 5 young ones (me, Mom (ha!), Uncle Adam and Aunt Erin) headed out to our Bed and Breakfast that we were staying at.
We had a great night's sleep and fell asleep listening to all the frogs in the creek and woke up to about 10 million different bird calls. Unfortunately, Ohio is 3 hours ahead of Tucson and breakfast was at 8, which is 5 AM my time. We almost slept through a delicious French Toast breakfast but mom and I rallied just in time and headed down in our jammies. That is probably a HUGE bed and breakfast faux paux but we weren't about to miss french toast! We finally got our rears in gear and headed back to Grandma's.

It was a bit drizzly but that didn't stop us from talking a nice long walk back to the fields. Mr. Walker and I had a nice little chat on the way and he told me all about the corn and the soybeans that were planted.

Grandma, meanwhile was keeping everyone else updated on all the different types of trees and flowers that were growing on the path and even gave Uncle Adam and Aunt Erin some saplings of walnut trees to take back for their new house. I got to pick all kinds of wild flowers for my mom and dad and by the time I was done, mom was having trouble carrying everything I gave her.
I wasn't allowed to pick any of Grandma's peonies though- I sure would have liked a big bouquet of those!
After our walk, we headed up to Lake Erie for lunch and some wildlife chasing- I could have chased those stupid seagulls all afternoon. That is until I took off my shoes, rolled up my pants and charged into the lake before mom realized what was going on. She managed to grab me just I was about jump in. This lake looks suspiciously like the ocean, so I didn't see a problem with it but apparently, mom didn't feel like getting wet.
So after a minor meltdown, mom distracted me with the playground just up the beach from the birds. We all had a great time there, reliving our youth until Aunt Erin pulled a muscle and decided being a kid is just to hard!

Uncle Adam showed me a few new tricks though that didn't take to much energy from the adults.
We headed back to Grandma's house and I got to stay back while mom, A. Erin and U. Adam went to Cleveland to pick up Dad. I got to go out to dinner (according to Mr. Walker, I had a "tough time" at dinner) and then taught everyone how to play Go Fish. It was a very fun evening for me.
Meanwhile, up in Cleveland, the rest of the gang took in an Indians game.

The Indians happen to be in last place, so it wasn't hard to get tickets. Everyone felt they made a good contribution to a losing ball club by buying tickets and souvenirs. It was really the least they could do.
So after a busy, busy Friday and with Dad in tow now, we slept through our breakfast on Saturday as well but the owners were nice enough to make us some more. After that, we headed back to the farm where Uncle David was working on his semi- trailer. This was another great experience for me because as you know, semi's are very cool vehicles as well. The only downer was that this was a Peterbuilt and not a Mac, but still very cool!

Grandma then showed me the ins and outs of her riding mower and dad and I were off for an adventure!

He got us out of the barn and then let me take control of the wheel. I think it went quite well, I didn't crash into anything or tip the tractor over. That was great fun.
On our way to Aunt Elsie's, we stopped at Findley Lake and walked around a bit and took some more nice pictures- the nicest being me on my Dodge Charger.


We stopped in to see Aunt Elsie and her horses for awhile and then headed back to the B&B to get ready for Grandma's party.



We had such a great time seeing all our aunts and uncles and cousins. They really are a great group of people (a little wacky, but great!) and we are so glad we made it out. We hope Grandma had a great time too. We love you Grandma!
We left early Sunday morning and got home in time for me to eat dinner and crash into bed. It was a good exhaustion though!

Have a great week- TOMORROW'S MY BIRTHDAY!!!

No comments: